Wow- so much work for what seems like a simple poster. So. After revising my postcard to join the campaign (unity-wise), and giving my magazine a headline (same reason), I didn't like having the poster reversed out on black - it didn't fit --or it wasn't at least "obviously" matched with the other two pieces. So I redid it on white. Surprisingly, that seemed to help with the issues of reading the combination - your eyes seem more drawn to it now. My imagination? I hope not. Anyway, I also slightly enlarged the lock, which also will help with that. Then I redid the headline with the upper and lower rules and in the matching colors, and I also rearranged the lower type to make it feel better, and to match the other pieces. I played with changing the copy in the title (I had started and stopped this, then Stephen suggested it, which made me want to more...). When I first did the poster, I only used "Unlock the cures" as the headline, but I wanted another word to urge the reader to do something real - not just get them to read the lock. Ultimately, what I really want people to do is join the organization, not just get the wit in the combination. So I added "Help", and that became the opening line for all my pieces. I tried (and tried), but couldn't come up with another, and after revising the poster (as descibed above) I was more comfortable with the headline I had proposed, so I kept it.
Friday, March 16, 2007
Unchain my cells
Wow- so much work for what seems like a simple poster. So. After revising my postcard to join the campaign (unity-wise), and giving my magazine a headline (same reason), I didn't like having the poster reversed out on black - it didn't fit --or it wasn't at least "obviously" matched with the other two pieces. So I redid it on white. Surprisingly, that seemed to help with the issues of reading the combination - your eyes seem more drawn to it now. My imagination? I hope not. Anyway, I also slightly enlarged the lock, which also will help with that. Then I redid the headline with the upper and lower rules and in the matching colors, and I also rearranged the lower type to make it feel better, and to match the other pieces. I played with changing the copy in the title (I had started and stopped this, then Stephen suggested it, which made me want to more...). When I first did the poster, I only used "Unlock the cures" as the headline, but I wanted another word to urge the reader to do something real - not just get them to read the lock. Ultimately, what I really want people to do is join the organization, not just get the wit in the combination. So I added "Help", and that became the opening line for all my pieces. I tried (and tried), but couldn't come up with another, and after revising the poster (as descibed above) I was more comfortable with the headline I had proposed, so I kept it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It looks so clean and it is NOT your imagination. My eye was drawn to the combo lock immediately!
nice job, dave!
I really like the bondage doctor in the postcard too--did you find this image? Or did you add, you photodhop wiz you!
Post a Comment